August 31, 2010

Greek Fest (Opa!)/Blues, Brews & BBQ Fest

These are two things I'm really excited about that happen on the same weekend (Sept. 9-12). My friend and fellow food lover Carmen suggested I blog about the upcoming weekend, since it's a smorgasbord of everything I love most about the Queen City, so here it is in case I forget to post something after the fact.

I will be volunteering at the People's Choice tent hosted by Slow Food Charlotte for the Blues, Brews & BBQ Festival (free to the general public), and I will also be wandering around Yiasou Greek Festival ($2 general admission) stuffing my face with lamb, dolmades, tiropita and delicious little loukoumades! The Greek culture is strong in Charlotte, and the food is ever so good. It's a budget-friendly weekend and I hope you'll take advantage of two great opportunities to experience some of Charlotte and the surrounding area's finest.

Spread the word and bring a posse!

1 comment:

  1. I know it's old news for some of you, but thought I'd (finally) post the outcome of the BBQ contest.

    First place: Pickin' Porkers (station 12 under the tent)
    Second place: Uncle Mac's (station 6)... of Mac's Speedshop fame (http://www.macspeedshop.com/)
    Third place: JJ'S Young Butts (station 8)

    I was manning station 7 (Ernie's) and the competitive spirit between Uncle Mac's and JJ's Young Butts was pretty intense throughout the afternoon.

    I met up with Lynne and Jackie afterwards and we had some free ice cream, a couple of beers and delicious BBQ from the Mac's Speedshop food truck. Delicious. And the mac & cheese is the best I've had (that I haven't made myself, that is).

    ReplyDelete