August 12, 2010

Open-air Markets

I love the concept of open-air markets, whether vendors are peddling produce, art, antiques or junk. I grew up in Boise, Idaho, where every Saturday, the Capital City Public Market happens on 8th Street. This remains a favorite destination for me when I visit my friends and family. You can snack on kettle corn and sample Late Harvest Riesling from Snake River Winery while ducking under each tent for a look-see at what's for sale, run into old friends and acquaintances gathered around a live musician, and meet interesting local farmers and craftsmen.

Last weekend, I went to Boston to visit my sister and she took me to the Sowa Open Market. Even though it was sweltering hot and the lines for the beverage stands were endless, we enjoyed a few hours of hunting for pretties and getting ideas for her next sewing project.

Charlotte offers more farmers markets than I realized, so my goal is to get to know them better before fall. I've lived here for three years and am embarrassed to admit I've only been to two:

King Street Market, at the corner of S. Kings and Morehead. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer much in the way of local produce, but you can get fresh eggs and gulf shrimp on Saturdays. Hours: Tuesday and Friday 6 a.m. - 6 p.m., Saturday 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Charlotte Regional Farmers Market, off Yorkmont Rd. This place is huge, so plan to spend some time here. You can find everything from pond plants to pickles to pine rocking chairs. Be sure to get a polish sausage with sauerkraut from the hot dog cart, and take a few minutes to learn about the local farmers you buy from. Some Saturdays, they host Ask a Master Gardener Day in the greenery shed. Farmers Market hours: (March - September) Tuesday - Saturday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., (May - August) Sundays 12:30 p.m. - 6 p.m. (October - February) Tuesday - Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Craft Barn hours: (March - December) Saturdays only 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.


Here are the others I am excited to visit:

Mecklenburg County Market
Atherton Market at Atherton Mill
Center City Green Market

2 comments:

  1. Later posts will reveal I've been to both Mecklenburg County Market and Atherton Market at Atherton Mill. Still haven't been to Center City Green Market, probably because the whole parking situation in uptown is a bit ridic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beginning this Tuesday, September 28, Atherton Market will be debuting new market hours:
    Tuesday- 3:00pm - 7:00pm
    Wednesday- 9:00am - 1:00pm
    Saturday- 9:00am - 2:00 pm

    ReplyDelete